The District of Gungahlin is one of the original eighteen districts of the Australian Capital Territory used in land administration. Gungahlin Region is one of fastest growing regions within Australia. The district is subdivided into divisions (suburbs), sections and blocks. Gungahlin is an Aboriginal word meaning either "white man's house" or "little rocky hill".
The traditional custodians of the district are the indigenous people of the Ngunnawal tribe.
Following the transfer of land from the Government of New South Wales to the Commonwealth Government in 1911, the district was established in 1966 by the Commonwealth via the gazettal of the Districts Ordinance 1966 (Cth) which, after the enactment of the Australian Capital Territory (Self-Government) Act 1988, became the Districts Act 1966. This Act was subsequently repealed by the ACT Government and the district is now administered subject to the Districts Act 2002.History info thanks to Wikipedia.